Latest news & events.
AVJennings responds to bushfire crisis.
- Monday 13 Jan 2020
AVJennings has been saddened by the recent bushfire crisis in so many parts of Australia. We feel for all those impacted. We recognise that many people have been affected and, unfortunately, it is likely that things will not improve in the short term. We also recognise the recovery will be long and challenging.
In response, AVJennings wants to make a real difference to those affected by this devastation as well as work with others to minimise the chance and impact in the future. As such, we have decided to:
Pledge $1 million through:
- a $250,000 immediate donation to the Red Cross;
- establish the AVJennings Community Grants Fund, with an initial commitment of $750,000 for the first 3 years; and
- establish a Workplace Volunteering program whereby AVJennings’ staff will be offered paid leave to undertake work in the community linked to the bushfire crisis and associated community initiatives.
The initial $250,000 donation recognises the impact of the current bushfire crisis and the need for an immediate community response. The establishment of the AVJennings Bushfire Relief and Community Grants Fund and the Workplace Volunteering Program aim to provide medium and long-term ongoing support.
Details of the Grants program will be announced in coming months. At this time it is likely the focus of the grants program will be on:
- support for regional fire services;
- support for wildlife organisations in their efforts to rescue and care for wildlife;
- communities impacted by the bushfires; and
- initiatives related to reducing the likelihood or impact of future bushfires, including research initiatives.
AVJennings’ Chairman, Mr Simon Cheong, said “As a Company which believes that housing matters, communities matter, we have been shocked to see the impact of the bushfires on so many communities and the loss of lives and so many homes. Of course, the loss of lives and human impact is absolutely tragic and we offer our condolences to those who have lost loved ones. We also recognise the efforts of all those who have bravely fought these fires and to all those involved in supporting these heroes and the communities impacted.
Our announcement of the AVJennings $1million pledge, as well as the Workplace Volunteering Program recognises the need to help. We considered many alternatives and believe this approach provides both short and long-term support and recognition of the long process ahead and the ongoing nature of bushfire risk.
AVJennings encourages other organisations to also support those individuals and organisations doing such amazing work in these tragic circumstances.
- Media Enquiries:
- Paul Russell
- General Manager Community Relations
- Ph: +61 (0) 439 637 122
- Corporate Enquiries:
- Andrew Keys
- Keys Thomas Associates
- Ph: +61 (0) 400 400 380