Lyndarum North, Wollert, VIC.
The wintery weather has truly set in! We’ve compiled a range of winter warmer tips, recipes, destinations and events to help you escape the chill and enjoy the best parts of the season.
Winter Warmers for your home
If you’re looking for ways to keep your home extra warm and cosy this winter, here are some tips.
- Pick up draught stoppers from your local Bunnings or homeware store. They are used to stop cold air creeping in from under your doors, helping your home retain heat.
- Invest in a winter doona. If you’re finding that your doona isn’t keeping you snug enough at night, it could be because you have a lightweight doona, designed for the warmer months. The best way to stay warm all night long without keeping the heating on is to swap out your summer doona for a thicker winter one, or layer up your bed with extra blankets. You can also utilise heated mattress pads and hot water bottles for extra warmth.
- Swapping your light, summery bed linen for flannelette sheets and more plush materials can also help you stay warmer throughout the winter months.
Winter Warmers for dinner
Nourishing and comforting recipes
If you’re craving the comfort of a warm winter meal, and want to save money by cooking at home, both Woolworths and Coles have some delicious, budget friendly winter recipes to get inspired by. Here are some of our favourites:
- Pot Roast Chicken with Sage Oil
- Beef Bourguignon Pie
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Butter & Crispy Sage
- Beef & French Onion Soup
- Tuscan-style Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower with Lentil & Chilli Dhal
- Honey Soy Pork Belly with Asian Greens
Winter Night Market
The unmissable Winter Night Market is back at Queen Victoria Market every Wednesday until 30 August. This incredible event brings together Melbourne’s best street food traders, brewers, distillers, artisans and entertainment for the perfect midweek winter experience. Entry is free, and there’s something for every member of the family to enjoy. Find out more here.
Private igloo dining
If you’ve been to the city and inner suburbs recently, you may have seen igloos pop up around the place, including at The Station Hotel in Footscray and The Wharf Hotel at Docklands. These igloos are the perfect way to thaw out and enjoy a private dining experience in your own personal winter wonderland.
Winter Warmer activities and events
Junior Chefs Winter Donut Decorating at Pacific Epping
From 11am – 1pm on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July, your little ones can decorate a donut at Pacific Epping, near the H&G Fresh Food Precinct. Tickets are $5 per child.
Learn more here.
Lightscape Melbourne Light Show
Until 6th August, be mesmerised at the re-imagined Lightscape event at Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens. Starring an eight-metre sphere filled with over 20,000 moving LEDs, singing trees, a flickering fire garden, colour-changing installations, soundscapes and large-scale illuminated sculptures, there’s so much beauty to discover and celebrate after dark.
Get your tickets here.
Winter Wonderlights Sovereign Hill
For something a little further afield, you can watch Sovereign Hill shine bright after dark at their Winter Wonderlights event, taking place until 16th July. During the day, wander the streets as ‘snow’ falls, watch pantomimes and theatre shows, take part in Christmas-themed arts and crafts, and enjoy gingerbread and other wintery treats. After dark, watch light projections bring the streetscape to dazzling life, as a spectacular light show illuminates the museum. It’s a Christmas in July experience like never before.
Book your tickets here.
We hope you stay warm and enjoy all the family fun going on this winter!